Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tom Brady Gets It

I’ve never been a Tom Brady fan. I don’t have anything personal against him, except for the whole pretty boy, effortlessly great player, marred-to-an-outrageously-gorgeous- and-talented-Hollywood-starlet-only-to-divorce-her-and-marry-an-even-more-ridiculously- gorgeous-supermodel thing.

But I may have to rethink my opinion of Mr. Brady.  When asked about the tendency of some athletes to attribute their success on the field (coughTimTebowcough) or court (coughJeremyLyncough), Mr. Brady had this to say:

Look at the  attention I get.  It’s because I throw a football. But that’s what society values.  That’s not what God values. God could give a (bleep)...He didn’t invent the game. We did.  I have some eye-hand coordination, and I can throw the ball. I don’t think that matters to God.

Well said, Tom Brady, well said.

One of my pet peeves has always been the athlete who thinks that God, if he or she exists, would intervene in a game while allowing the kind of wholesale suffering that exists in this world to continue unaddressed.  So it’s good to see one athlete put things into the proper perspective.

I actually addressed this topic in song last year:




No comments:

Post a Comment