Sunday, April 3, 2011

More on the Amazing Water Healing Project of Dr. Emoto

After I wrote my little screed about Dr. Emoto’s plan to “cure” japan’s ailing waters by harnessing a global wave of omni-powerful prayers I had some second thoughts. Not about my criticism of the concept, mind you, but it did occur to me that perhaps I’d fallen for some elaborate April fool’s day prank. I mean, face it, that would be pretty brilliant, right? Coming up with something as silly as getting people around the world to focus their prayers on Japan’s ailing waters in an effort to heal them?  Right?

So I’ve been tracking Twitter posts and searching blogs and, alas, I am certain that I was right the first time. Not only does this goofball Dr. Emoto believe in the healing powers of prayer (and, again, healing water, not people!), but there are clearly many people out there who buy into it.

For example, when I do a Twitter search with the terms “Emoto”, hundreds of posts in several languages pop up that appear to applaud, confirm and get all gooey about the effort to heal the waters through prayer.  Scanning them, I see nothing negative in English, German or Spanish (languages that I know pretty well), although I can’t read the others.  

But when I search for parings of the word Emoto with terms like wrong, nonsense, pseudoscience, bullshit, criticism, skeptic, etc., I find not so much as a single tweet.  Now, maybe this is such a low level issue that the skeptical community just isn’t really aware of it.  But I’m surprised it hasn’t raised a little more of a buzz.

Oh well, as I’ve said before, a skeptic’s work is never done!

No comments:

Post a Comment